ESRL Global Modeling
FV3 / NGGPS
- Coordination under NOAA Next-Generation Global Prediction System (NGGPS)
- Real-time testing
- Physics development and testing with alternative Grell-Freitas convective parameterization
- Info -
FV3 documentation from NOAA VLab page
- (for NOAA vLab users only)
- Global Model Test Bed through NOAA-NCAR DTC GMTB and CCPP
- Participation in real-time
NOAA Subseasonal Experiment (SubX)
- NOAA SubX real-time forecasts including from ESRL coupled model
- Reference for FIM-HYCOM subseasonal prediction in NOAA SubX Green et al 2017 Mon. Wea. Rev. - Evaluation of MJO Predictive Skill in Multiphysics and Multimodel Global Ensembles -
- Fall 2017 - FV3 realtime runs started.
Tests with FV
3are underway with Grell-Freitas convection (C384 - 25km) toward NGGPS development. FV3-GFS .vs. FV3-GFS (Grell-Freitas)
- Nov 2016 - FIM moving toward FV3 -- FV3 coordination and development started with NCEP and GFDL and ESRL/PSD. Some limited FIM experiments with physics and coupled modeling (Week 3-4) will continue as an interim model while initial development on FV3 starts.
- Oct 2016 - 30km FIM experiments continue with alternative cumulus parameterizations comparisons. FIM-30km uses the GFS physics suite including its simplified-Arakawa-Schubert scheme. By contrast, FIMX-alt-30km uses the Grell-Freitas instead of the SAS scheme with the rest of the GFS physics suite otherwise. FIM-15km uses the GFS physics suite, but with use of MODIS land-use data instead of USGS.
FIM model paper
- Mon. Wea. Rev. June 2015, 2386-2403.